Estonian passports and ID cards

Applying for the Estonian passport and ID card

You can apply for new documents at the Embassy or directly from the  Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board

  • You can apply for a new ID card by POST
  • You can also apply for a new passport by POST or E-MAIL directly from the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board if less than 5 years have passed since taking of fingerprints.
  • Passports for children under 12 years of age can also be renewed by POST or E-MAIL as fingerprints will not be taken from them.
  • Applying for  passport / ID-card for the first time you will need to include the original birth certificate.
  • Applying  for passport / ID-card for your child for the first time, you will need to have the other parent’s written consent.

You have to book a time and come to the Embassy to apply for documents if:

  • Your old passport has expired (you need to get your fingerprints taken at the Embassy).
  • Your child has reached 12 years of age and therefore needs to give fingerprints for the passport. NB! Children under 12 years do not have to come to the embassy in person, one of the parents can submit the application on behalf of the child.
  • You wish that someone else picks up your passport/ID card on your behalf, a written consent can only be given at the Embassy.

Please book an appointment ONLINE or over the phone (353 1) 478 88 88.

You will need the following documents to apply for a passport / ID card at the Embassy:

  • Standard application form
  •  A digital photo must be sent directly to the address and the applicants name and the personal ID code/date of birth should be added to the email.
  • In case of a child’s passport application: other parent’s written consent.
  • In case of change of name: a copy of your spouse’s passport and your Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll  document.

When applying for a passport for your child for the first time you will need to present:

When applying for  Estonian passport as an adult for the first time you will need documents proving your Estonian citizenship.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by birth:

  • an original document proving that you are an Estonian citizen;
  • an original document indicating that at least one of your parents/grandparents is an Estonian citizen and verification documents to prove that you are descended from a parent who is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by naturalization:

  • a certificate of citizenship

Documents referring to Estonian citizenship for the period from 1918 to 1940 can be obtained from:

  • Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth certificates, certificates of marriage and divorce, certificates on changing names, etc.);
  • the National Archives (certificates of Defense Forces, option certificates, school- leaving certificates, documents verifying the possession of real estate or working in the public service, etc.).